The Viet Nam Timber Legality Assurance System
The core of the VPA describes Vietnam’s timber legality assurance system (VNTLAS), which will ensure that timber products are verified legal according to specified requirements for all stages of the supply chain, from the forest or the point of import to the point of final sale or export.
The VNTLAS has seven elements:
- Timber sources entering the VNTLAS: Vietnam maintains strict control over the management and harvesting of timber from domestic natural forest, and for allowing confiscated timber to enter the VNTLAS supply chain. To ensure compliance of imported timber, Vietnam shall issue legislation requiring importers to conduct due diligence to ensure that imported timber has been legally harvested, produced and exported in accordance with the legislation in the country of harvest.
- Intermediate stages: The controls include systems to support data analysis to monitor timber volumes within and between stages of supply chains; and physical inspections particularly on the basis of the analyses of supply-chain data.
- Export to any market: A risk-based approach will apply, based on the OCS category (see below), for the verification of shipments of timber destined both for EU and non-EU markets.
The organization Classification System (OCS) and verification are based on risk assessment, including
- Compliance with all dynamic evidence to ensure that the timber is legally sourced
- Commitment to implement all steps in supply chain controls and fully meeting reports requirements.
- Fully compliant with static evidence
- Group 1: Fully compliant with the above mentioned criteria
- Group 2: Not fully compliant
- Continuously operated based in self-assessment if the organizations and verified by the provincial department of forest protection and other organizations approved by the government.
- The government of Vietnam will issue guidance for implementation.
|1. Periodic organisation classification||Registration with the OCS system||All organizations in the VNTLAS supply chain must register with the OCS.|
|Self-assessment / self-reassessment by Organisations||First self-assessment conducted by organization after registration with OCS. Following assessment: - For Category 1 OCS: every two years. - For Category 2 OCS: every one year.|
|Appraisal of self-assessment and classification by Provincial FPD and notification to Central FPD||After receiving self-assessment of organizations (within a specified period of time…)|
|Decision and announcement of classification result by Central FPD||After receiving appraisal results from Provincial FPD (within a specified period of time…)|
|2. Irregular organization classification||Non-compliances and violations be handled administrative or criminal||Category 1 shall be moved to Category 2 when FPD has evidence of violation by government agencies (within a specified period of time…).|
|Appraisal of self-assessment and classification by Provincial FPD and notification to Central FPD||After receiving self-reassessment of Organizations (within a specified period of time…)|
|Decision and announcement of organization classification result by Central FPD||After receiving appraisal results from Provincial FPD (within a period of time specified…)|
Export verification for organization classified in group 1; Source: VNFOREST
Export verification for organization classified as group 2 (Source: VNFOREST)
Export verification for households and individuals (Sources:VNFOREST)
Verification steps (sources: VNFOREST)