Online course on the use of legal timber in architecture, construction and design
This course provides basic information on legal and sustainable timber, Vietnam’s timber industries, development potential and opportunities for the design and interior industries. The course consists of 7 lessons, with a duration of about 150 minutes. Each lesson includes a short video (about 5-7 minutes), PowerPoint presentation, and/or accompanying reference materials. This course is designed to raise awareness of legal timber and timber products as well as the benefits from using sustainable timber materials. The course also aims to encourage young architects, engineers, construction managers and interior designers in using timber sustainably in architecture, construction and design.
1. LEGAL TIMBER, TIMBER MARKET AND CONSUMPTION TRENDS IN VIETNAM
This session will introduce background information about the timber market as well as challenges and opportunities for timber industries in Vietnam. The session also provides important knowledge of legal timber and sustainable timber, as well as the domestic timber market and current trends of timber consumption, especially in term of young consumers. This session consists of 8 main contents:
- Timber: An environmentally friendly and creative material
- Vietnam timber market
- Opportunities for design and interior design
- What is legal timber?
- Products that need to meet the requirements of VPA/FLEGT
- What is sustainable timber?
- Vietnam timber market
- Trends of domestic (timber) consumption in Vietnam
2. TIMBER PROVIDES SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT FOR INTERIOR DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURE
In this session, learners will be aware of the opportunities that timber offers to interior design, architecture and construction. The main content will focus on the use of timber in interior design, architecture and timber exportation.
3.GUIDANCE ON USING AND TRADING TIMBER AND TIMBER PRODUCTS
In previous sessions, participants learn about timber market and consumption trends as well as learning about legal and sustainable timber. In this session, participants will be provided with more information and guidance on how to use and trade legal timber effectively. The major content will be about:
- Limiting the use of timber, or reuse, recycle, renew wood and timber products.
- Checking the types and origins of wood and timber products carefully.
- Rejecting unnecessary and illegal timber products.
- Prioritizing the use of wood and timber products from planted forests.
- Prioritizing the use of legally certified wood and timber products.
4. USING REGENERATING TIMBER IN ARCHITECTURE
In this session, you will learn about regenerating timber and its roles in the economy, the society and the environment through stories within Vietnam and around the world. For example, the lesson will illustrate case studies of applying regenerating timber to products by 282design. The content of this session consists of 3 main parts:
- How do Vietnamese people use timber?
- How do developed countries use timber?
- Why do we use timber?
5. PROMOTING SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT AND GREEN LIFESTYLE THROUGH IKEA DESIGNS
This is the lesson about the idea of developing a sustainable ecosystem in which both human and nature are center. This idea was generated by IKEA - the world's largest furniture retailer.
In the IKEA Sustainability Report FY20, IKEA highlighted their vision for contributing to sustainable development by 2030, stating that: “To meet the challenges of unsustainable consumption, climate change, and growing inequality, we are – in collaboration with partners, co-workers, and customers – taking ambitious steps towards a more sustainable future.” (IKEA, 2020). By strongly focusing on increasing the use of sustainable materials, plant-based foods, renewable energy and more, IKEA continues to make positive change with a look towards the goal of becoming climate positive by 2030.
6. TRENDS OF USING WOOD IN CONSTRUCTION & ARCHITECTURE IN THE WORLD
With this lesson, learners will be discovered more reasons why do we use timber materials, trends of using timber in design, architecture, and construction in the world commonly and in Vietnam privately. How to promote more the participation of young designers using timber materials sustainably and legally. The lesson has four main parts:
- Advantages of wood materials
- Trends of using wood in design, construction in the world
- Use of wood in construction and architecture in Vietnam
- Increasing participation of young designers
This part provides more helpful information, knowledge related to legal and sustainable timber.
Guidance on trading timber and timber products