The EU FAO FLEGT Programme promotes the implementation of the FLEGT Action Plan by improving forest governance, providing technical assistance, and building capacity through funding projects in eligible countries. In pursuit of these objectives, the EU FAO FLEGT Programme has provided support for the project entitled “Ensuring timber legality in the domestic market and promote the use of legal and sustainable timber in Vietnam”. The project is implemented by the Center for Education and Development (CED) in partnerships with Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI). Please see http://ced.edu.vn/ for more information on CED, and http://www.vcci.com.vn/ for more information on VCCI.
The overall project objective is: To promote responsible domestic timber procurement and consumption in Vietnam.
Under this project, CED will partner with some selected business associations and universities, namely: Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI), Universities in Hanoi, Khanh Hoa, Phu Yen in order to produce, achieve or deliver the following outputs:
Output 1: Increased understanding of the knowledge, attitudes and practices of legal timber and timber products amongst Vietnamese users
Output 2: The promotion of responsible timber consumption amongst timber users of Vietnam.
Output 3: Monitoring, evaluation and visibility framework developed
The consultant will support CED to design and conduct need assessment as described in the project agreement. The field survey will be in Hue, Quang Binh, Tay Nguyen, and some the Northern provinces. The consultant will report to the Project Manager and work with CED’s team.
To implement the activities proposed under the above-mentioned project, CED is currently looking for a consultant who will lead the knowledge, attitudes, and practices (KAP) survey and reporting (45 days). The successful candidate will report to the Project Team Leader and work with CED’s team and will be based at CED’s office in Hanoi.
Qualification and competencies required:
- Bachelor or Master Degree in business management, governance, forestry or relevant subjects;
- At least five years of working experience in private sector and knowledge on forestry sector, wood processing and VPA/FLEGT would be an advantage;
- Skills and experiences in project assessment and project implementation;
- Experiences and skills in working with relevant stakeholders and local governments;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good skills in writing clear, coherent and concise project reports and, research reports;
- Proactive and independent work style essential, (prioritizing those from local or regional central provinces).
The consultant will be responsible for design and implementation of the assessment in June and July. His/her primary responsibilities will include:
- Be familiar with project documents, references, and agreement (1 day);
- Design need assessments (report outline, develop questionnaires) in consultation with CED’s staff (2 days);
- Participate in testing surveys in Hanoi and/or surrounding provinces and revise the questionnaires as needed (2 days);
- Participate in field work in Hanoi and/ or surrounding provinces, Hue, Quang Trị and High Land provinces (24 days)
- Writing assessment report (15 days).
Total working days will not exceed 45 days.